Sunday, January 6, 2013

Dutch Oven Roasted Potatoes

Potatoes are a side dish that goes with everything. These potatoes don't disappoint whether you want to serve them with eggs and bacon, hamburgers or grilled chicken. You can make these while camping or grilling in your backyard.  Any kind of potato can be used, I like red or Yukon Gold. I'm not going to give exact  measurements but more of the technique. Light 20-25 charcoal briquettes, while you are waiting for them to turn gray get your ingredients ready.
Place 8-10 briquettes  under your dutch oven. Pour 3-4 tablespoons oil in your pot, add 3-4 tablespoons diced onions  and 2-3 slices of bacon, chopped. More or less can be used depending on your preferences. Cook until the onion is transparent, the onion and bacon will continue to cook with the potatoes. 
I leave the lid off for this part so I can stir and watch closely.
When your onion is done, add large pieces of washed red potatoes. Stir well. Add chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Cover with lid and add 10-12 briquettes on top. I have found that this is not an exact science. You have to add and take away from the bottom and top depending on how it is cooking. I let mine cook for 20-25 minutes, take the lid off, stir and  check  my briquettes.  If needed you can add more oil.
I will be sharing this to these blog parties:

1 comment:

  1. These Oven Roasted Potatoes will be delicious, we will love them. Thank you so much for celebrating TWO YEARS with FULL PLATE THURSDAY, I appreciate your visit!
    Come Back Soon
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete