Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Crock-Pot Hot Sauce

With the abundance of  cherry and Roma tomatoes in our garden this year I wanted to make hot sauce. My sister gave me the idea to make it in my crock pot.  It uses the tomatoes, cooks while I do other things and keeps me from standing over a hot stove. Which is a win, win situation.
Fresh ingredients are the best and nothing beats tomatoes straight from the garden.
I have one cherry tomato plant and one roma tomato plant and I am able to make this once or 
twice a week. 

We also grow jalapenos and bell peppers.
 I cut the stem end off and cut the tomatoes in half, using a scale I measure 3 pounds of tomatoes. I would guess it would be 3 1/2 pounds before you cut off the stems. Be sure to wash your tomatoes first. 
Put tomatoes in crock pot.
Add:
 one medium onion cut into big chunks
3 jalapenos (not seeded) cut into fourths (this is not an exact science, I have found the bigger the
 jalapeno the hotter)
 Always wear gloves when handling jalapenos!
2 medium bell peppers cut into big chunks
4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 Tblsps chopped garlic (I do buy jars of garlic already chopped)
Cook 3 hours on high
Turn off the crockpot, take the lid off and let it cool.
Using a colander drain your tomato mixture. Reserve the liquid, it could be used for stew, gumbo etc.
Using either a blender or food processor puree the mixture. If you are using a blender you may 
need to do it in batches.
This recipe makes appox. one quart and it freezes well.
I will be posting this recipe to these blog parties:

1 comment:

  1. A great Hot Sauce recipe! Hope you have a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Your post has been pinned with the party!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete