Monday, June 14, 2010

Dutch Oven Pumpkin Crunch

My family and I recently stayed in our travel trailer at the lake. I have been wanting to try Dutch Oven cooking and this was the perfect opportunity. I had bought recipe books and a Dutch oven, read recipes on the internet and even watched a seminar that gave away very tasty  samples.  I decided to try a dessert first, my husband and son both love this Pumpkin Crunch recipe, it would be easy and didn't need alot of  ingredients.
While I charcoaled hamburgers I mixed up my cake.  I melted two sticks of margarine at the same time my hamburgers were cooking.
Mix one can pumpkin, one can evaporated milk, one cup sugar. Whisk in three eggs. Pour into dutch oven. Sprinkle cake mix over pumpkin mixture. Drizzle melted butter over cake mix. 
I placed the dutch oven on 8-10 briquets and 13-15 the top of the lid. I found this is definitely  not an exact science. I check it every 15 minutes and rotated the pot. It was ready in 30 minutes. It turned out very good. The possibilities are endless of what you could prepare.  I plan to try more recipes in the backyard in our fire pit, to be ready for the next time we go camping. I will be posting this to
Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Outdoor Wednesday and Foodie Friday.
Home Away from Home!











5 comments:

  1. Being a cast iron fanatic, we love cooking in dutch ovens. We don't camp as much as we did when we were more youthful, lol.....maybe we'll need to plan a trip :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to have a yummy dessert while camping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there to try it in the dutch oven - looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, you are making me want a Dutch oven! I really need to add it to my Christmas list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Desserts in the Dutch oven yum!!! I can't wait to try this. We also make something similar by pouring a can of blueberry filling in the bottom of the dutch oven, then a can of crushed pineapple. Sprinkle cake mix on top and drizzle butter.

    ReplyDelete