Sunday, February 6, 2011

Baked Alaska

Do you want to prepare a dessert that is sure to impress? Baked Alaska may look like a complicated dessert but it really isn't. It does take some planning ahead but the steps aren't hard.
 The first time I had this dessert was when I was 19 and my sister and I took a trip to San Francisco. We we were splurging on a meal at Fisherman's Wharf. Baked Alaska was on the menu it was something we had never eaten and had only heard of.  The waiter brought our dessert out  splashed it with rum and set it on fire at our table, what a treat it was!
I have fixed this for birthday parties and special occasions. It is a versatile dessert, you can buy or make any flavor of cake,  angel food cake, brownies, gluten free cake or brownies. Any flavor of ice cream can be used and you can make small, medium or large Baked Alaska's.

A couple of days before  bake or buy your choice for the bottom. For mine I baked brownies and cut out two different sizes of circles. I wanted mine to be individual desserts, which is great for Valentine's Day or birthday parties. Mound ice cream on your bottom layer, you can use a ice cream scoop or use a spoon and layer your ice cream. Place on a cookie sheet and freeze for at least one day.
It is important that it is frozen hard.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees, you need a very hot oven!
Meringue Recipe:
Beat 6 large eggs whites with 1/2 tsp cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Continue beating until meringue is stiff and glossy.

This recipe will cover a 9" cake with 2 quarts of ice cream. You want at least 1 inch of meringue, which acts as an insulator.  Cover completely with meringue, leaving no bare spots!
The meringue can be piped on to make designs, I like to spoon it on and make peaks.
Bake for 3-5 minutes, check often. You want your meringue to be golden. Serve immediately!
Posted by PicasaFeburary 1st is Baked Alaska Day. In 1876 Delmonico's Restaurant in New York City began serving this dessert in honor of the purchase of Alaska from Russia.

I will be posting this to This Week's Cravings, Gold Star Wednesday's, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Foodie Friday, Mouthwatering Monday's, The Gluten-Free Homemaker, Tuesdays at the Table and Full Plate Thursday, What's Cooking Wednesday

15 comments:

  1. I love Baked Alaska - your individual servings are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I never actually knew what baked Alaska was, but I think I like it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother loves Baked Alaska. I've never really known what it looked like either, so I'm glad to see a picture and a recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very impressed! WOW! WE got to try it back for our 10th anniversary cruise (we are going on our 18th anniversary next month). I wouldn't have thought that i could actually make it! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my grandpa telling me about a baked alaska he had once when I was a kid and I always wondered how someone could light ice cream on fire. Knowing that it's baked in meringue makes much more sense but doesn't make it seem any less delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to try and make this! Thanks for reminding me of it, I have so much on my to do list! but this looks like a must try. Thanks for sharing! Yours looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried to make my own baked alaska--cooking ice cream in the oven seems so mysterious! And I had no idea it was Baked alaska day--a good reason to try your yummy looking recipe! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look fabulous. Thanks for sharing them for what's cooking wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baked Alaska is such an amazing dessert, looks like yours turned out perfectly! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Baked Alaska in individual servings is a beautiful presentation, it just looks delicious. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great dessert for anytime, but especially for Valentines day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of my favorite dessert, I haven't made it in years. THANKS!!! foe sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I am so impressed by your baked alaska. You did a fantastic job on this and it looks like you've got all the skills down pat. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your dessert up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are GREAT! thank you for sharing, love your blog!! just came across it and i am so glad i did :)
    HAPPY VALENTINES <3
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations you are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week 2-17-11. Please stop by and pick up your Red Plate...hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete