Monday, November 22, 2010

Gumbo


I came up with this recipe a couple of years ago to use leftover turkey from Christmas. It is a little spicy but is a great way to use turkey, chicken or ham. You can throw everything in a pot and let it simmer while you relax from a busy holiday. I use okra I have sliced and frozen from my garden. The other ingredients I buy ahead of time to have on hand. 

Ingredients:
2 cups chopped cooked turkey, chicken or ham
1 package turkey polish sausage, chopped
1/2 chopped onion
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cans chicken broth
1 can mild Ro-Tel
2 cups sliced frozen okra
cooked rice
Place all ingredients in stock pot and let simmer for a couple of hours  or until onions are done. Remove bay leaves. Serve over cooked rice.

I will be posting this to Gold Star Wednesday's, This Week's Cravings, Foodie Friday


4 comments:

  1. This looks so good - wish I had some waiting for me at home tonight!!

    Thanks for posting to This Week's Cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up to This Week's Cravings. Next week we will be featuring Crock-Pot recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Gumbo looks great. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh! THIS looks interesting! I am finding so many leftover recipes today but this is by far the most unique! Yum!

    Thanks for sharing @ Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete